the true sense
of the omnipotence
of Life, Truth, and Love
At a time of contagious disease, Christian Scientists endeavor to rise in consciousness to the true sense of the omnipotence of Life, Truth, and Love, and this great fact in Christian Science realized will stop a contagion. (The First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany, Mary Baker Eddy, p. 116:2)
I am so grateful to be a part of this group - this Association of people who are spiritually ready to serve God and to accept the demands of doing so. How invigorating to be a part of a group of spiritually-minded individuals who enrich and prosper collective action. We make up the “divine US” (see Science and Health p. 501: 16) - a collective demonstration of a revolutionary and relevant Church - reflecting divine Mind’s ability to care for Her own.
All four papers that will be presented today take a phrase from Mrs. Eddy’s quote and dive into it. So now, let’s start with Omnipotence.
“At a time of contagious disease, Christian Scientists endeavor to rise in consciousness to the true sense of the omnipotence of Life, Truth, and Love, and this great fact in Christian Science realized will stop a contagion.” (The First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany, Mary Baker Eddy, p. 116:2)
What does it mean to rise in consciousness and what are we rising to?
We are rising to the understanding of omnipotent God, so what is omnipotent God? We’ll start here and grow to see how this omnipotence stops a contagion.
The purpose here is to get us to stretch and reach a higher understanding of God’s omnipotence as the engine behind all progress, all growth, all movement, and yet it is inspiring the gentlest lullaby and the most exacting watch of Love over Her creation:
- It is intimate: Every hair on our head is numbered and yet
- “Unfathomable Mind is expressed. The depth, breadth, height, might, majesty, and glory of infinite Love fill all space. That is enough!” (Science and Health, p. 520:3–5 (to !)
- And blending this infinite and infinitesimal embrace of God, we read about from Mrs. Eddy as told by Abigail Thompson WKMrs. Eddy Vol 1 pl 153: “I saw the love of God encircling the universe and man, filling all space, and that divine Love so permeated my own consciousness that I loved with Christlike compassion everything I saw. “
God is omnipotent and this omnipotence is about power/energy/ supremacy; the all-power and potency of the Holy Spirit; the only force, influence, and impetus of ONE and ONLY infinite and intimate God
- ALMIGHTY. All-power; infinity; omnipotence. (Science and Health 581:3)
- Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Enable us to know, — as in heaven, so on earth, — God is omnipotent, supreme. (Science and Health 17:1-3)
God's power is the engine of movement;
This is the force behind all inspired thought and thought is the stronger element behind all action. “Thought is the essence of an act, and the stronger element of action; even as steam is more powerful than water, simply because it is more ethereal.” (The People's Idea Of God — Its Effect on Health and Christianity, Mary Baker Eddy, p. 10:1–4):
- Strength and energy of God are constant; movement and creation are continuous; there is no stopping, no interruption, no deterioration of the omnipotence of God;
- God's power is self-generating and deliberate, effortless and logical/not contradictory
God, having all power, makes it impossible that anyone or anything else could have power.
- With only one Mind, one power - harmony, movement, progress is inevitable.
- There cannot be even a mental atom of dust that derails the overwhelming force of God, good
- A right idea has no opposition or opposing force.
- Detach thought from the idea of contraction (or contra–action) to the action of creation and the birth moves forward harmoniously.
Power as the annihilator of all evil
- (Hea. 10:8) Let us remember that God — good — is omnipotent; therefore evil is impotent.
- (Science and Health 496:1) You will also learn that in Science there is no transfer of evil suggestions from one mortal to another, for there is but one Mind, and this ever-present omnipotent Mind is reflected by man and governs the entire universe.
- (Science and Health 113:19) Life, God, omnipotent good, deny death, evil, sin, disease.
- Mortality is swallowed up in immortality, and the omnipotence of God expresses itself through its infinite manifestation, constantly, repeatedly.
- (Science and Health 193: 32-2) ..... the might of omnipotent Spirit shares not its strength with matter or with human will.
- Omnipotence means ALL power and nothing can withstand the power of God as Love; Anger, hatred, malice, sickness, sin, any weakness, doubt, temptation, diversion, all have no power to stop, interrupt or disturb the continuous flow of power reflected by God’s creation - us! God’s power is consistently demonstrated as God’s power, Soul, is never without Its representative.
We own the power that is sourced in God and is given to us by God.
We live in the consciousness of our oneness with God - our power is a reflection of God’s omnipotence. We can claim our power to heal instantaneously. Mrs. Eddy’s advice to a student “Realize constantly that no mortal mind ( so-called) can affect you or make you believe you cannot cure your patients. There is no malice, no envy, no will power. All is LOVE and TRUTH. Argue this way.” (MARY BAKER EDDY: CHRISTIAN HEALER Interlude: Advice for healers | page 226)
Science and Health reinforces this thought. “A knowledge of the Science of being develops the latent abilities and possibilities of man." (p.128) What is this Science of Being? “This is the Science of being.: Divine Love blesses its own ideas , and causes them to multiply - to manifest His power. Man is not made to till the soil. His birthright is dominion, not subjection. He is lord of the belief in earth and heaven, — himself subordinate alone to his Maker.” (Science and Health, p. 517:30)
The kingdom of God is within! And through the kingdom of omnipotence within you - you have completely unrestricted access to divine good and to the constant force and uninterrupted flow of infinite good and to infinite God's all-power in our lives.
“What can fathom infinity!.. Human capacity is slow to discern and to grasp God's creation and the divine power and presence which go with it, demonstrating its spiritual origin. Mortals can never know the infinite, until they throw off the old man and reach the spiritual image and likeness. ” (Science and Health, p. 519:9–17)
Realize this scientific truth: You are strong. Nothing can withstand the powerful God of Love you reflect. You reflect the omnipotent Life that is God. Mrs. Eddy wrote, “Wait patiently on illimitable Life.” (ibid, p.4) Wait patiently - that is patiently serve Life as its full unlimited expression. “Reflect this Life and with it cometh the full power of being.” (ibid, p.4) And remember, you reflect that full power of omnipotence through your individualized consciousness in an individual way. (from CSB Michelle Nanouche's website)
Dealing with the pandemic:
- Begin rightly: Restate what is real; what God creates: There can be but one creator, who has created all.
- Know the operations of error: (Disease may be ) a new multiplication or self-division of mortal thought, ….that attempts to pattern the infinite.
- But, as Eddy says: “ Mortals must look beyond fading, finite forms, if they would gain the true sense of things. “ (Science and Health 264: 7-8)
- Expose its nothingness; disease is fear and fear is based on illusion. There is no substance in disease
- What are some of the claims and flotsam of the pandemic?
- Disease is inevitable and the new normal
- There is dvisiveness and distrust of what is true and what isn’t
- Obedience to health restrictions take away our freedoms
- Only one material form of healing is accepted
- This is countered and destroyed with these truths:
- Omnipotent Truth. Life, and Love REVEAL health, well-being, harmony, as the only reality:
- Omnipotence of Love has no sense of hatred and its Golden rule neutralizes division, restores harmony, and makes receptive the hungry heart looking for healing
- Omnipotence of Life has no partnership with death. And the resilience and holiness of Life defuses the pull of popular opinion toward the monopoly of material methods of healing or the normalization of disease
- Omnipotence of Truth has no consciousness of error. - knowing our freedom is secure, we know the truth that makes free - and this counters the fear of our freedoms being taken away
- Truth, Life, and Love are a law of annihilation to everything unlike themselves, because they declare nothing except God. (Science and Health, p. 243:25)
- And one infinite God, good, leaves nothing that can sin, suffer, be punished, or destroyed. (Science and Health 340: 23)
We have the God-given power and dominion to claim our heritage of health and harmony
Just as we are subordinate to God, and matter is subordinate to God (see Mis p. 29:27–30) so is matter subordinate to us. Thus we are fully exempt from disease or danger. (See Science and Health, p. 411:28–29). “We reflect the omnipotent Mind, as immortal, eternal evidence of the one Mind, we are exempt from age or decay. (See Science and Health, p. 247:13–15)
We are not dependent on material means or on personalities - these do not give life nor determine our life prospects. “If we follow the command of our Master, “Take no thought for your life,” we shall never depend on bodily conditions, structure, or economy, but we shall be masters of the body, dictate its terms, and form and control it with Truth. There is no power apart from God. Omnipotence has all-power, and to acknowledge any other power is to dishonor God. (Science and Health, p. 228:20–27)
ALL scientific prayer has the full authority of omnipotence behind it. All things are possible to God - why?? Because there is no opposing power.
Let’s also look at Life, Truth and Love and include all the other synonyms of God as we consider another omni: the omniactivity of God’s omnipotence. And then we'll see how it can stop contagion and all error.
Omni-active - unstoppable, immortal, eternal, constant creation, constant renewal ; making all things new continually
- Hymn 237:2 He hath promised we shall find Him, Love divine its promise keeps/God is watching with the watchful, God is Life that never sleeps.
- (Science and Health 387:8-12 when (to ,) “... immortal Mind is ever active, and spiritual energies can neither wear out nor can so-called material law trespass upon God-given powers and resources, …….
So being omnipotent and omniactive is about consistency, fluency, progress, resting in action and moving with efficient grace.
- God rests in action
- Immortal Mind is ever active, constantly creative; and we are the evidence of that creation, rising higher and higher from a boundless basis.
- Because energies never wear out; there is no deterioration or degeneration;
- The cycles of divine light are tireless – divine revelation, reason, demonstration – the cycles of reflection and expression/inspiration and demonstration - all continue with ever-increasing freshness, relevance, and might
Omniactive and omnipotent MindRefreshed by the assurances of immortality, we allow ourselves to be carried by the movements of Mind: the calm strong currents of true spirituality deepen, invigorate, refresh and renew our very being
- Agelessness is the consequence of omniactive Mind.
- Omnipotent and omniactive Mind means there is no halting or reversing of harmony; there is no reaction to error, but a yielding to MIND’s omniactive bulldozing through the wilderness
- You can't have omniactive Mind and a writer's block, or resistance, or a relapse or stubbornness. There is only intelligent Mind’s flow and divine unfolding of the logic of events.
- (Science and Health 283:4) Mind is the source of all movement, and there is no inertia to retard or check its perpetual and harmonious action. Mind is the same Life, Love, and wisdom “yesterday, and to-day, and forever.”
As the reflection of Soul, this means that we are satisfied; undisturbed and fulfilled with the beauty and awe of holiness and governed by the law of symmetry, balance and harmony; there is never a time where we are dissatisfied, impoverished, harmed or disturbed; there is no dissatisfaction
- …....You can't have the omni activity of Soul and have stress, strain, anxiety, nervousness, chaos. There is only Soul's inexhaustible nature of reconciliation – fearless and undisturbed, graceful and strong, peaceful , established and progressive
- We are Soul’s reflection, happy, satisfied, supplied with all good. (Science and Health 60: 29 )“ Soul has infinite resources with which to bless mankind and happiness would be more readily attained and would be more secure in our keeping , if sought in Soul.”
Omnipotent and omniactive Life
We reflect Life --- eternal, original, continuous and inexhaustible renewal; there is no inaction; there is no death
- You cannot have omniactive Life and limitation, exhaustion or isolation.
- (Science and Health 519:25-5 (to !) God rests in action. …...No exhaustion follows the action of this Mind, according to the apprehension of divine Science. The highest and sweetest rest, even from a human standpoint, is in holy work.
- All things are created new. ( II Cor 5: 17)
- Life is constantly renovating consciousness. Why? The divine influence is ever present in human consciousness thus ever creating, renovating, purifying, and rousing us to a higher and higher consciousness
Omnipotent and omniactive Truth
Our constant interaction with Truth is pure, recuperative and honest; Truth’s purity is the cement of civilization and burns away all obstacles to God’s goodness
- You can't have omni-active Truth while doing things half-way : cutting corners, telling white lies, holding unloving motives or holding onto the human drama,
- (Science and Health 447:14-16) The recuperative action of the system, when mentally sustained by Truth, goes on naturally.
- (Science and Health 427:30-2) ….. this trumpet-word of Truth, “There is no death, no inaction, diseased action, over action, nor reaction.”
Omnipotent and omniactive Principle
This means all true action is original, fundamental, relevant, and proactive (anticipatory) ; there are no duplicate actions or dissimulation
- You can't have omniactive Principle and feel held back by a vacuum, a lack of something, or an excess of something. You can’t grow from faking it or living vicariously. You are original, your life has authenticity, movement and progress. Progress is a law of God.
- Matter and its effects — sin, sickness, and death — are states of mortal mind which act, react, and then come to a stop. They are not facts, truths, ideas from God, but illusions. Principle is absolute. It admits of no error, but rests upon understanding. (Science and Health 283)
Omnipotent and omniactive Love
Love illustrates the attraction of the Christ – and all wise men and women are consistently attracted to the Christ,
- You can't have omniactive Love and mediocrity, a burdensome weight of accumulated errors, apathy, ugliness, feeling stuck, paralysis, indecision. There is only the full, satisfying, and humble action of Love's loveliness, restfulness and fulfillment.. Love's ideas cannot exist alone, but exist in relation to all things loving and lovely.
- (Science and Health 57:23) Love enriches the nature, enlarging, purifying, elevating it.
- Love harmonizes and companions our lives with exacting beauty, brilliance, and care.
Omnipotent and omniactive Spirit
This is the consistent, persistent, and insistent action of creation. there is no subtraction, contradiction, competition, nor contraction to Spirit's multiplying interaction and inspiration
- You can't have omniactive Spirit and a reversal of progress and goodness.
- (Science and Health 420:2-4) There is no metastasis (the spread of disease to a new place in your body), no stoppage of harmonious action, no paralysis;
- There is no fear of being completely unable to operate normally or effectively – either as an organizational body, a marriage, a parent-child relationship, or one's physical body; incapacity is drummed out by the divine energies of Spirit.
- Truth not error, Love not hate, Spirit not matter, governs man. And this is expressed by Spirit’s energy, power and multiplication of good.
And we have continual access to God's omniactivity, omnipotence, and immortality which give us assurance, alertness, energy, focus, stability, and a higher and more permanent peace, a wider sphere of thought and action, and a more inclusive joy. (See Science and Health, p. 265: 10.)
In order to gain this access “Mortals must look beyond fading, finite forms, if they would gain the true sense of things. Where shall the gaze rest but in the unsearchable realm of Mind? (Science and Health, p 264: 9)
“Christian Science translates Mind, God, to mortals. It is the infinite calculus defining the line, plane, space, and fourth dimension of Spirit.
(Miscellaneous Writings 1883–1896, Mary Baker Eddy, p. 22:3–12)
SLIDE 19 Let’s break this down:
Christian Science translates Mind, God, to mortals.
It is the infinite calculus ( a system of calculation or reasoning)
defining the line, (one dimensional = length)
Plane, (two dimensional= length and breadth)
space, (three dimensional = length, breadth, depth)
and fourth dimension of Spirit. ( Note how the fourth dimension includes all other dimensions - For an analogy: as the fourth dimension supersedes the other dimensions, we can apply that to Spirit where mortality and finiteness are swallowed up in immortality)
The fourth dimension of Spirit
The fourth dimension was first discussed in the 1700s but the precise formulation of the concept happened in 1854 and was made popular in 1880 - right around the time of the discovery of Christian Science in 1866.
The fourth dimension of Spirit simply covers all lower dimensions but also the higher dimensions in which the distinct identity of each one of God’s creations remains intact.
How to heal in Christian Science? Suffice it to say, it is about a lift and shift into an understanding of the omnipotence of Life, Truth and Love. “(It is) so far in advance of human knowledge that mortals must work for the discovery of even a portion of it” (!) and this precedes our focus for this next section-- “ Christian Science translates Mind, God, to mortals. It is the infinite calculus defining the line, plane, space, and fourth dimension of Spirit.” (Misc p. 22:3–12). How can we work to discover even a portion of this Science? Consider the leap ( or shift) of understanding in this analogy and how this leap/shift helps us understand the law of God that brings about healing.
Let’s say we have a two-dimensional person who only sees things in two dimensions So flat as a pancake. How would one explain to a two-dimensional person, the aspects of three dimensions? It might be difficult!
We may have felt this difficulty in shifting to a higher consciousness if we are relating more to only a human narrative of ourselves.
Eddy writes: Human capacity is slow to discern and to grasp God's creation and the divine power and presence which go with it, demonstrating its spiritual origin. (Science and Health, p. 519:11–14)
If you were to push a pencil through a two dimensional plane, the two- dimensional person would not see the entire pencil, but would only see a hole, as the two-dimensional person could only see it in two dimensions - so it doesn’t get to see the complete picture. In order for her to realize what is really going on, the two-dimensional person would have to go beyond her present thinking that two dimensions are all there is, and understand that there is another dimension currently outside of her present mind-set.
Once that person has given their consent, and then made that shift from 2-D to 3-D, then she sees all things differently and things make more sense.
Likewise, when we pray and heal, we are going beyond a human mindset to turn to a higher dimension – of Spirit. This higher dimension includes all dimensions and illustrates the magnitude of Spirit. Every element, attribute and character reflect Spirit and are governed by Spirit.
Dimension is defined by the magnitude of something in a particular direction. And when that direction is spiritual and non-linear, but fills all space, and is reflected by man “rising higher and higher from a boundless basis” we get a more expansive understanding of God as infinite dimension.
The three great verities of Spirit, omnipotence, omnipresence, and omniscience, — Spirit possessing all power, filling all space, constituting all Science, — contradict forever the belief that matter can be actual. (Science and Health, pp. 109:32–3)
The fourth dimension of Spirit swallows up the belief that our lives can be only material, mortal, or human — just as the fourth dimension proves that existence cannot be only one, two, or three-dimensional.
"Unfathomable Mind is expressed. The depth, breadth, height, might, majesty, and glory of infinite Love fill all space. That is enough! Human language (like the three-dimensional sort) can repeat only an infinitesimal part of what exists. The absolute ideal, man, is no more seen nor comprehended by mortals (the two and three-dimensional sort), than is his infinite Principle, Love. Principle and its idea, man, are coexistent and eternal. The numerals of infinity, called seven days, can never be reckoned according to the calendar of time. These days will appear as mortality disappears, and they will reveal eternity, (the fourth dimension of Spirit) newness of Life, in which all sense of error forever disappears and thought accepts the divine infinite calculus (or system of logic and reasoning)." (Science and Health, p. 520:3)
And so we are instructed in Science to look away from the two and three- dimensional understanding of life to the infinite and omnipresent God:
Look away from the body into Truth and Love, the Principle of all happiness, harmony, and immortality. Hold thought steadfastly to the enduring, the good, and the true, and you will bring these into your experience proportionably to their occupancy of your thoughts. (Science and Health, p. 261: 2-4)
What happens if we continue in our limited thinking - where we are only seeing the hole and not the entire pencil - or not open to the magnitude of Spirit? The same thing happens if we are only looking at the physical senses only.
“If we look to the body for pleasure, we find pain; for Life, we find death; for Truth, we find error; for Spirit, we find its opposite, matter. Now reverse this action. (Science and Health, p. 260:31)
The harmony and immortality of man are intact. We should look away from the opposite supposition that man is created materially, and turn our gaze to the spiritual record of creation, …… (Science and Health, p. 521:12)
How does this play out in our practice and in giving treatment?
What we are doing in treatment is establishing - first in our own thought - the supremacy of the dimension - the magnitude - of God’s omnipotence. Not satisfied with only seeing a limited material view - either healthy or diseased- we rise to the consciousness of Love and only Love.
Become conscious for a single moment that Life and intelligence are purely spiritual, — neither in nor of matter, — and the body will then utter no complaints. (Science and Health, p. 14:12–15)
Consciousness constructs a better body when faith in matter has been conquered. Correct material belief by spiritual understanding, and Spirit will form you anew. (Science and Health 425:23–26)
Knowing that we are not to convince, persuade, or debate in our healing treatments, as much of the healing work is done silently - and the inter-communication is always from God to Her idea, man - what does this following statement say about how we treat any case?
The sick know nothing of the mental process by which they are depleted, and next to nothing of the metaphysical method by which they can be healed. If they ask about their disease, tell them only what is best for them to know. Assure them that they think too much about their ailments, and have already heard too much on that subject. Turn their thoughts away from their bodies to higher objects. Teach them that their being is sustained by Spirit, not by matter, and that they find health, peace, and harmony in God, divine Love. (Science and Health, p. 416:24)
To sum it all up, we affirm
- That the fourth dimension of Spirit - the magnitude of Spirit - is central and foremost.
- It doesn’t matter what the patient knows or doesn’t know about the mental process, but it does matter that their thought is turned to higher objects
- You immerse consciousness in this fourth dimension! You have to be aware of it!
Become conscious for a single moment that Life and intelligence are purely spiritual, — neither in nor of matter, — and the body will then utter no complaints. ... Hence the hope of the promise Jesus bestows: “He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; . . . because I go unto my Father,” — [because the Ego is absent from the body, and present with Truth and Love.] (Science and Health, p. 14:12–15, 18–22)
Now - to speak to our theme:
Why does “ the true sense of the omnipotence of Life, Truth, and Love,” realized, make it impossible to transmit human ills from one person to another? Isn’t this what contagion tries to do?
But if we remove ourselves from limited, material thinking that matter is physical, contagious, and dangerous and give our consent to seeing there is something more going on here - a higher view, a clearer Principle of perfect God and perfect man …. we are actually giving our consent to the following:
- The creative Principle — Life, Truth, and Love — is God. The universe reflects God. There is but one creator and one creation. This creation consists of the unfolding of spiritual ideas and their identities, which are embraced in the infinite Mind and forever reflected. These ideas range from the infinitesimal to infinity, and the highest ideas are the sons and daughters of God.(Science and Health, p. 502:27)
Now this above statement articulates who we are spiritually. But if we are being influenced by the mortal narrative - the argument is not that we are created spiritually, but materially and therefore we are lacking and vulnerable to diseases transmitted to us. This false argument has been picked up by claims of heredity, human history, and now through the claim of the so-called intelligent matter of germs which can be transferred from one person to another.:
But Christian Science protests these false claims:
Let’s look at this idea: It (Science) absolutely refutes the amalgamation, transmigration, absorption, or annihilation of individuality.
(Miscellaneous Writings 1883–1896, Mary Baker Eddy, p. 22:12–14)
Now regarding our individuality – “ “It absolutely refutes the
- Amalgamation, (combining or uniting of souls; two become one; being refuted it means no loss of unique identity/individualized consciousness )
- transmigration, (a soul passing into a different body after death; being reversed -- there is no reincarnation)
- absorption, or (a state of one being engrossed in another or codependency or possession; similar to amalgamation; being reversed Science claims our infinite individuality as part of the compound idea man)
- Annihilation (obliteration or death) of individuality; the reverse is true - the immortality of man.
- It shows the impossibility of transmitting human ills, or evil, from one individual to another; (that, by the way, is what contagion does) that all true thoughts revolve in God's orbits: they come from God and return to Him, — and untruths belong not to His creation, therefore these are null and void.”(Misc, p. 22:3)
When God created His image and likeness, there was no vulnerability included - no gap, or crack where darkness could creep in.
Transmitting human ills from one to another can only be done if people agree to believe a lie - to NOT see the whole picture. By believing a lie, we have given our consent to staying ignorant - staying within the 2 or 3 dimensions, if you will. We then make really just a lateral move of accepting another’s fear as our own - or cherishing that fear - sympathizing, and finding a poor substitute for companionship in misery. But there is no solid or logical basis for it, as man constantly rises “ higher and higher from a boundless basis.”
There is no transference of sickly thoughts, no false reliance on others, no comparison, no “misery loves company.”
Love creates and maintains us. And there is no darkness there. It simply is not there. The omnipotence of Life, Truth, and Love are the only creators and we are the evidence of that omnipotence.
The true sense of God’s omnipotence allows us to see - to a degree- the overwhelming allness of God - where “mortality is swallowed up in immortality”
Again, “Consciousness constructs a better body when faith in matter has been conquered. Correct material belief by spiritual understanding, and Spirit will form you anew.” (Science and Health 425:23–26)
We can rise to “... the true sense of the omnipotence of Life, Truth, and Love, and this great fact in Christian Science realized will stop a contagion.”
( Miscellany, p. 116:3 the)